Dropped ootheca- not pregnant??

Woke up this morning to see that my female hisser, Port, had released her entire ootheca. I’m very sure that’s what it is, based on pictures of hissers airing out theirs, except hers is entirely outside her body and the end of her abdomen is opening and closing as if she’s looking for it. Background: she’s lived with her roommate, Gromp, for as long as I’ve known them. I got them both at maturity 3 years ago and they’re both females (no horns or any other indication), and Gromp passed away two weeks ago of old age :( I’m wondering if this is a sign that Port is also close to passing, or if she’s just missing Gromp and this is her very strange way of showing it? I can’t find anything about it, especially since I’m 100% sure she’s not pregnant or fertilized, unless there’s a ninja male living in my room and sneaking into their tank. (Also, I absolutely do not have the setup to raise nymphs, so I’m praying that I’m right and it really is impossible.) Anyone ever seen this before or know what it is?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Females will often abort ooths that have not been fertilized, so I wouldn't say this is anything unusual.