Baby Rhinoceros roaches, Macropanesthia rhinoceros

ย 

Rhinoceros roaches only have babies once a year around November Australia. In captivity they also only give birth once a year, not seldom once or twice in a lifetime even if the female lives eight or ten years total (total lifespan for some dozens and a few decades has been 7 to 14). Specimens kept in the Northern Hemisphere flip the cycle and only have young from April to around July 4th (after being in captivity a year or two. Imports would still give birth in November for the first year or two). When it's this late in the year if there are no babies the chances begin to appear very slim. Thrilled to see a decent group born the other morning. I was worried I had missed out this year.
  • Like 2

Mine didn't give birth this year, pretty disappointed as I thought I had their care down pretty well. Last year I got a small sickly brood that only resulted in one healthy nymph (who's half grown already). So not doing so hot with breeding this species thus far. ๐Ÿ˜•

Interesting how they flip the cycle in different hemispheres. It's kind of amazing these are still in culture because of the low birth rates.

Congrats, Orin!

TJ, maybe you and I both will have success next year. Mine just both matured recently.ย 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bhjjr said:

Interesting how they flip the cycle in different hemispheres. It's kind of amazing these are still in culture because of the low birth rates.

Congrats, Orin!

TJ, maybe you and I both will have success next year. Mine just both matured recently.ย 

Yeah, fingers crossed next year goes well for yours and mine! ๐Ÿคžย 

5 hours ago, Hisserdude said:

Mine didn't give birth this year, pretty disappointed as I thought I had their care down pretty well. Last year I got a small sickly brood that only resulted in one healthy nymph (who's half grown already). So not doing so hot with breeding this species thus far. ๐Ÿ˜•

I have six females and last year I had three sets of births and thought I'd have a ton. The biggest brood came out looking okay but stayed flat and mostly died over a week and the others were sickly so I ended up with less than thirty. This year's single brood is in the low 20s and don't look sickly so I should end up with 20.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allpet Roaches said:

I have six females and last year I had three sets of births and thought I'd have a ton. The biggest brood came out looking okay but stayed flat and mostly died over a week and the others were sickly so I ended up with less than thirty. This year's single brood is in the low 20s and don't look sickly so I should end up with 20.

Seems to be quite a toss up in terms of health and frequency of broods in this species I guess.